The Community Supported Garden at La Vista is a local garden that was founded in December 2001, as part of the Oblate Ecological Initiative, a ministry of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
Since 1950, this land known as La Vista has been the site of the Oblate Novitiate. Over the years, these 255 acres of woods, bluffs, pastures and gardens have been home to hundreds of Oblates and novices (and countless other creatures). It is home to the Oblate Ecological Initiative.
The Oblate Ecological Initiative seeks not only to educate Oblates and others in the area of ecological awareness, but also to ground them in the Sacred Story of all Creation. In response to this mission, the Initiative has two components: an Ecological Learning Center and The Community Supported Garden at La Vista.
Since it's inception, a full-time farmer has managed the garden using sustainable practices that are in harmony with the living process of the soil; thus we have never used synthetic or chemical pesticides or fertilizers.
Maurice Lange founded the Community Supported Garden at La Vista in 2002 and continues to support the garden as a shareholder each season.
Our organization has now an independent not-for-profit corporation in the state of Illinois.